Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The End of An Era


It seems such a cliché to say “if these walls could talk”, but certainly The Sutton Place Hotel Toronto would have borne witness to some pretty juicy stories in its 45-year history.

It seems The Sutton Place name has always been linked with the famous as well as the infamous, starting with an unsuccessful mob hit just months after it opened in 1967. The incident literally put the hotel on the map – with newspaper articles describing the brand new property as “posh” and “swanky”. In the three years I worked there we were still the host hotel for the prestigious Toronto International Film Festival, now known as simply as “TIFF”. I have my own personal “star stories” including a chance encounter with none other than Madonna!


Last week I attended a farewell function for the staff, past and present – in anticipation of the hotel’s closure on June 15th. It was a classy and surprisingly moving trip down memory lane which included messages from various celebrities who fondly remember The Sutton Place as their home away from home while in Toronto.

But it was the testimonials of the long-time employees that really choked me up. Many, many with over 25 years of service spoke with such deep pride about taking care of the thousands of guests who walked through those doors at 955 Bay Street.

That’s why they call it the hospitality industry.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Julie! I too feel the same nostalgia... And I wrote about it in my blog too! See http://meetingeventlead.blogspot.ca/2012/05/end-of-era-sutton-place-hotel-toronto.html. I have a few photos too! See you next month at iBE!

    ReplyDelete