Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sucks to be Sick

There's no good time for a bad cold, but feeling lousy when you're away from home is especially awful. It does make you appreciate a nice hotel room, though. 

Let me count the ways the Delta Centre-Ville made my recent stay as comfortable as possible - while I was suffering from a stupid bug.

1. An easy-to-use thermastat allowed me to raise the temperature of the room to a cosy 25C. Quickly. Good for my chills.

2. A great bed: pillow-top mattress, crisp linens and puffy comforter. Bliss.

3. Excellent black-out drapes for day-time napping.

4. The room was also incredibly quiet, so I could really get the rest I needed.

5. An uncomplicated coffee maker, used to make pots and pots of hot tea. Jasmine Green Tea was my favourite.

6. A totally awesome desk/work space for when I did drag myself out of bed. I love that it wasn't cluttered with hotel propaganda; the room service menus and guest services guide were neatly propped up on a ledge. There was excellent task lighting, access to no less than seven electrical outlets, and all manner of computer cables, neatly retracted....

7. Oh - and getting onto the internet was easy! Yes, Delta does have the fastest connection.

8. When it was time to get cleaned up, I had a really, really long, hot shower. It was heaven. I liked the hand-held shower head and bar to hold onto, in case I was feeling dizzy.

9. High quality June Jacobs body lotion is always a nice treat.

10. Large bathroom with lots of counter space so I could spread out with all my drugs and paraphanalia.

11. Club Lounge advantages: I've never understood that "starve a cold, feed a fever" thing, and was so grateful that I'd booked myself a room on one of the Club Floors. Going to the Lounge, with its awesome, almost panoramic view of the city, got me out of my room to enjoy a substantial breakfast each morning - providing me with much-needed nourishment when I wasn't up to actually leaving the hotel. With my reduced appetite the complimentary hors d'oeuvres during the 'cinq a sept' hours were enough serve as dinner.

12. Delta Privilege advantages: I was too tired to go to the business centre to get a couple of documents printed so I emailed them to the Front Desk. There was no charge for them to print them for me. (I remember a few years ago receiving an extremely lengthy fax at the Delta Barrington - and the same thing - there was no charge). Also, late check-out was easily arranged so that I can stay in my lovely room right up until the time I had to go to the aiport and fly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment